wash/rinse off the shower gel

takiakos76

Hungarian
Put some shower gel on your skin, then wash it off.
Put some shower gel on your skin, then rinse it off.
- it there any difference in meaning?
Thanks!

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    There's not much difference between wash and rinse but the sentence reads very strangely. If I didn't know how to use shower gel, this would not tell me what to do to get clean.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'Washing' suggests some vigorous motion to get something clean using water and a cleaning product. 'Rinsing' means using water to remove something, the gel in this case, after washing.
    There should be some action after putting the gel on, using it, then rinsing off.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    'Washing' suggests some vigorous motion to get something clean using water and a cleaning product. 'Rinsing' means using water to remove something, the gel in this case, after washing.
    There should be some action after putting the gel on, using it, then rinsing off.
    I agree that "washing" has this implication, but "wash off" does not - it means the same as "rinse off".

takiakos76

Hungarian
    There's not much difference between wash and rinse but the sentence reads very strangely. If I didn't know how to use shower gel, this would not tell me what to do to get clean.
    Yes, sorry, it was just a silly example I came up with, I didn't think about whether it actually made sense.
    "Spread the shower gel on your body, then wash/rinse it off"...? Does that sound OK?

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >