Watashiga moshi toridattara anatano tokoroe tonde ikudeshoo

phatbeatz

usa English
Hi all I received this message from a girl I know and I do not understand it. If anyone can translate it for me I would appreciate it. The following is the message.

• phatbeatz

usa English
    Just as a follow up I know she is studying Japanese at the moment I unfortunately dont know any at all. Given the fact that she is studying it I dont know if what she wrote is written correctly or not. If any of the experts here has a idea of what it means I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

I_like_my_TV

Tongan
    If anyone can translate it for me i would appreciate it. the following is the message.

My 1st attempt: "Just to let you know I've got a boyfriend." But my instinct's told me this is probably wrong, so here is my 2nd try: "If I were a bird, I'd fly to where you are."

Although my translation is very shaky (as you can already see), I think her Japanese is exellent! :)

phatbeatz

usa English
    My 1st attempt: "Just to let you know I've got a boyfriend." But my instinct's told me this is probably wrong, so here is my 2nd try: "If I were a bird, I'd fly to where you are."

Although my translation is very shaky (as you can already see), I think her Japanese is exellent! :)

Thank you very much for the translation i asked her about it and its the second answer the bird one. thanks again for the help!

I_like_my_TV

Tongan
    Where did you get that one from, anyway ?!
    It must be from my head, I think...:D

Ok, let's be a bit more serious:
    I think your adding "probably" to the translation may be redundant. I know that textbooks always associate "deshoo/daroo" with "probably" but in this sentence, the hypothetical form in Japanese has been well taken care of by "were (a bird)" and "would (fly)". I think we should try to translate into English as if we're speaking English, and not as if we're translating from some other language. Don't you think?

< Previous | Next >