Watch my football game

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

I asked one of my female friends a question the other day:

Am I honored to ask you to watch my soccer game on Sunday morning?

I want to say:

1) I’m going to play soccer with my friends on Sunday morning.

2) I want her to come to watch how I play and cheer for me.

3) If she’ll come I’ll be very happy, so I use “Am I honored”. (Add context)

Thoughts:

I think it sounds a bit awkward, it sounds like I’m the soccer game, which is totally weird and ridiculous. Can you help?

Thanks a lot

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi Silver,

"Watch my soccer game" is perfectly natural; the problem is with "Am I honoured...?" If you want to use the formal phrase (in a humorous way, I'm guessing), I'd say "Do I have the honour of your coming to watch my soccer game?" or "Will you do me the honour of coming to watch my soccer game?".

"Am I honoured...?" sounds like you yourself are questioning whether it would be an honour to have her there or not!:D

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Thanks a lot, theartichoke.

I do want to be formal because I'm inviting a young woman to watch the game, but can I say something instead to sound less stilted?

theartichoke

English - Canada
    I do want to be formal because I'm inviting a young woman to watch the game, but can I say something instead to sound less stilted?
    I wouldn't be too formal about it, if I were you.:) If you want something that implies it would make you very happy if she were to come to the game (i.e., something more personal than "would you like to come and watch....?") then you might try "It would be great if you could come and watch..." (still quite informal and not overly personal) or "I would love it if you were to come and watch...." (more personal) or even "It would mean a lot to me if you were to come and watch...." (you've pretty much made your interest in her unmistakable:D). The right person, with the right tone, might be able to pull off "I'd be honoured if you'd come and watch...", but it would depend a lot on who this young woman is, whether she'd find that charming or creepy.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    The right person, with the right tone, might be able to pull off "I'd be honoured if you'd come and watch...", but it would depend a lot on who this young woman is, whether she'd find that charming or creepy.
    I agree with everything artichoke has said. If you insist upon "honored", then the way artichoke suggests just above. You could also pop in "delighted" or "pleased" instead of "honored".

I guess it all boils down to how "dramatic" you want to be in expressing your desire.

A very weak expression: If you have time to come and watch, I have a soccer game Sunday morning. (A tad passive-aggressive. ;))

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I assume you want to know how it would normally be said by a native speaker.

In AE, a man would say, "Hey, I'm going to be playing in a soccer game Sunday morning. How about coming and cheering for me?"

< Previous | Next >