watch out for me

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello
It's a documentary about some crime in America.
The customer of a hotel goes out for some jogging.
He says to the hotel doorman,
"I’m going on a run this morning.
I’ll be gone about 30 minutes. Watch out for me, please.”

I don't understand "watch out for me" in this context.
What should porter watch for him?

Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The context isn't particularly helpful but "watch out for me", is said to some responsible person when you leave some place or something unattended.

Here, tt probably means "Keep a watch out for suspicious things and people."

Additionally, it means, "keep the same watch on the place that I would; take care of the place; don't let anything bad happen; protect my interests; act as a guard; etc."

chopin7

Albanian
    It's the series Medical Detectives for all that it could help.
    The person in question has just killed his wife in the hotel room and is going out for some jogging to build an alibi.
    And he talks to the hotel concierge and to the hotel doorman, to this last one he present himself with name and surname and tell him all those things I wrote on earlier posts.
    This part is of course a reconstruction piece, but it is presented twice in the movie.
    The first time goes "Watch out for me" and the second time "Would you keep an eye for me?"
    And the porter's answers is in both cases "Surely will, sir. Have a nice running."
    That's it.

stormwreath

English - England
    'Watch out!' by itself is a warning or instruction to somebody that they need to be more aware of their surroundings, because there's something important or dangerous coming that they don't seem to have noticed yet.

'Watch out for something' makes this more specific; you're telling them what it is they need to be looking for. "Watch out for unexploded bombs around here!"

'Watch out for me' could mean "Watch out" in the general sense ("Stay alert!"), with the addition that he wants the doorman to do it "for me", meaning do it "as a favour for me". However, in this context I think he means "Watch out for me" in the second sense: "I'm the thing I want you to watch out for".

In other words, he means "Stay alert to make sure you see me when I come back from my run". The intended implication is, as Beryl suggests, that if he doesn't come back in reasonable time, the doorman will realise something has gone wrong and call the police - but the real reason is because he's establishing an alibi. He wants to make sure the doorman remembers him going and coming back so he can swear in a court of law that he was gone from the building for a certain time.

< Previous | Next >