watch the fun

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
If you have been to Pingshi in Taipei County, chances are you've seen the tradition of sky lantern lighting. The best time to watch the fun is during the Lantern Festival.

First, how to rephrase the word lighting here?

Second, is it right to write watch the fun? Shouldn't it be rewritten as enjoy the fun?

• Roddyboy55

England, English UK
    If you have been to Pingshi in Taipei County, chances are you've seen the traditional lighting of the sky lanterns. The best time to watch the fun is during the Lantern Festival.

I think the above reads better, the "watch" or "enjoy" problem depends on whether the fun is only seen visually as a spectator or actively participated in, like swimming or running.

Hope this helps
    Rod

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Hi, here's my try, I'm not a native, but hope be of any help;-)

If you have been to Pingshi in Taipei County, chances are you must have seen the tradition of lighting and flying sky lanterns.

The best time to have all the fun is during the Lantern Festival.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    First, how to rephrase the word lighting here?
    I don't think there is a word which fits the sentence as well as lighting does. I would query the need to rephrase it at all. I thionk that you might need to rephrase the whole sentence, and not just replace the word.

Second, is it right to write watch the fun? Shouldn't it be rewritten as enjoy the fun?
    Watch the fun is quite acceptable there. It is what a spectator does. Enjoy the fun carries an undertone that the person is involved in the activity in some way.