watched with the strangest anticipation; as though some word of doom were to be written

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: I lifted up my head to look: the roof resolved to clouds, high and dim; the gleam was such as the moon imparts to vapours she is about to sever. I watched her come—watched with the strangest anticipation; as though some word of doom were to be written on her disk. She broke forth as never moon yet burst from cloud: a hand first penetrated the sable folds and waved them away; then, not a moon, but a white human form shone in the azure, inclining a glorious brow earthward. It gazed and gazed on me.

Context: Jane was dreaming.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

anticipation => The action of representing to oneself or realizing a thing before it occurs; apprehension beforehand, preconception. [OED]
doom => ruin or death:

the sentence => ...watched with the strangest preconception of what would happen; as though some word telling my ruin or death were to be written...

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    It might be a reference to "mene, mene, tekel, upharsin" in the Old Testament. In this quote, I think that "anticipation" means something like "fearful anticipation", with "doom" having a sinister connotation (rather that simply "fate").

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Perhaps what I wrote isn't. quite right. I meant something like that, "waiting for something to happen and fearing that it would be bad", that what was going to be written would foretell ruin or death for her.

< Previous | Next >