watching movies countable or uncountable?

hectacon

Hindi
Do you watch movies a lot?

= No . I watch a few / little movies.

I want to know if watching movies is countable or uncountable?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I watch a few movies = I don't watch many. :tick:
    I watch little movies = nothing that lasts more than 10 minutes. :)

It's not the watching that matters, it's the movies which are certainly countable and indeed plural.

hectacon

Hindi

It's not the watching that matters, it's the movies which are certainly countable and indeed plural.

Which is the more common way of replying to such a question?

I don't want a lot of movies or I don't watch many movie or I watch a few movies.

Myridon

English - US
    The most "direct" answer (the answer that has the same structure as the question) would be:
    I do (don't) watch movies a lot.
    I watch movies a little bit.
    The question is about the activity "watching movies" so it's about the amount of time, not about the number of movies.
    The other answers are also possible, but you're actually answering a slightly different question: Do you watch a lot of movies?

hectacon

Hindi
    The most "direct" answer (the answer that has the same structure as the question) would be:
    I do (don't) watch movies a lot.
    I watch movies a little bit.
    The question is about the activity "watching movies" so it's about the amount of time, not about the number of movies.
    The other answers are also possible, but you're actually answering a slightly different question: Do you watch a lot of movies?

I watch movies a little bit is about the number of movies or about the length of the movie?

Myridon

English - US
    I watch movies a little bit is about the number of movies or about the length of the movie?
    It's about the amount of time you spend watching movies (I watch a little bit - a small amount of watching), not about the length of the individual movies (I watch short movies).

hectacon

Hindi

All three are reasonable responses. I don't know that one is more common than another.
    It's about the amount of time you spend watching movies (I watch a little bit - a small amount of watching), not about the length of the individual movies (I watch short movies).
    Can I say I do(don't) watch movies too much.

I watch too much movies. I don't watch too much movies.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    If it helps, let me set this out clearly. Movie is the American word for film.

A movie = a film = an entertainment on screen. E.g: "Kurbaan" is my favorite movie.
    Movies = films = plural of the above, e.g: "Kurbaan" and "Superman" are both good movies.
    The movies = the cinema industry e.g: Salman Khan works in the Bollywood movies.

So you can say:
    • I watch a few movies every month - three or four at least.
    • I watch a lot of movies - I'm always going to the cinema.
    • I watch many movies (more formal) = I watch a lot of movies.
    You can't say:
    • I (don't) watch too much movies. :cross: Why? Because much is singular and movies is plural.

hectacon

Hindi
    If it helps, let me set this out clearly. Movie is the American word for film.

A movie = a film = an entertainment on screen. E.g: "Kurbaan" is my favorite movie.
    Movies = films = plural of the above, e.g: "Kurbaan" and "Superman" are both good movies.
    The movies = the cinema industry e.g: Salman Khan works in the Bollywood movies.

So you can say:
    • I watch a few movies every month - three or four at least.
    • I watch a lot of movies - I'm always going to the cinema.
    • I watch many movies (more formal) = I watch a lot of movies.
    You can't say:
    • I (don't) watch too much movies. :cross: Why? Because much is singular and movies is plural.

You did a lot of work in getting Indian names especially the actors. Kudos for that? DIL KHUS KAR DIYA:cool:.

Much is singular than what is plural of much ? I think I need to open a new thread . My knowledge is even less about a lot and much than what I thought at the beginning .

< Previous | Next >