water-blob

< Previous | Next >

mariana79

Turkish
Hello
In D.H Lawrence's Sons and Lovers, Paul and Miriam are walking, then they reach a brook. There, they see some flowers. The writer say:mostly golden water-blobs. What is golden Blob? is it water drops golden in the sunlight? or is it a kind of a flower?

There was a bright little brook that ran into a bog at the foot of a very steep bank. Here they wandered, picking still a few marsh-marigolds and many big blue forget-me-nots. Then she sat on the bank with her hands full of flowers, mostly golden water-blobs. As she put her face down into the marigolds, it was all overcast with a yellow shine.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Perhaps I should introduce my mum to this forum; she knows all the traditional names given to flowers by people living in the countryside (as opposed to the 'proper' names given them by people who write dictionaries). Water-blobs are marsh marigolds.

mariana79

Turkish
    Perhaps I should introduce my mum to this forum; she knows all the traditional names given to flowers by people living in the countryside (as opposed to the 'proper' names given them by people who write dictionaries). Water-blobs are marsh marigolds.
    Wow, thanks! you're like your mother in this case :)

< Previous | Next >