water-colors of fond association

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone! I am wondering what is "water-colors of fond association" in the following sentences:

"This room was all her own; she had taken it for herself and changed it so that, entering, one seemed to be in another house. She had lowered the ceiling and the elaborate cornice which, in one form or another, graced every room was lost to view; the walls, one paneled in brocade, were stripped and washed blue and spotted with innumerable little water-colors of fond association; the air was sweet with the fresh scent of flowers and musty potpourri; her library in soft leather covers, well-read works of poetry and piety, filled a small rosewood bookcase; the chimneypiece was covered with small personal treasures—an ivory Madonna, a plaster St. Joseph, posthumous miniatures of her three soldier brothers."

This is an excerpt from Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh. The protagonist Charles Ryder went to Sebastian Flyte's house in Brideshead, and stepped into his mother's room for the first time, describing her room thus.

I could not possibly imagine how the walls were painted with those words.
I would very much appreciate your help! :)

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    "Water-colour" here refers not to the type of paint, but to finished paintings produced with those types of water-based paints (both the paint type and the finished paintings are called water-colours).
    So, the walls of the room are decorated with multiple small water-colour paintings, and these paintings are of things that have a fond (good, sentimental, pleasantly-remembered) association to her - perhaps places she has been, that sort of thing.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Thank you for the explanation, Dretagoto!
    So that meant that many water-color paintings that recalled good memories hung on the blue-washed walls.
    I really appreciate your help! :)

< Previous | Next >