Water hydrant

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
Hi, I just read a book. It calls a fire hydrant a ‘water hydrant’. I wonder if it is correct. I searched on google, I only saw ‘fire hydrant’. So water hydrant a real term? Do you call a fire hydrant a water hydrant? Thanks

• Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    The book is not a story book, it’s a book written by a tutorial center. A book for teaching

The book is not a story book, it’s a book written by a tutorial center. A book for teaching
    It does have a sentence ‘The hose takes water from the water hydrant on the street.’

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    Please give us the title of the book, and explain what is going on in the surrounding sentences.
    There’s not a book, you can’t google or find it. It is written by the teacher working in the center I believe. The topic of that page is about fire station, fireman, fire truck. And it has some sentences for students to read. And I read that sentence that I mentioned above. In general speaking, is this term used?

Does the book have a name and an author?
    Sorry, maybe I should have made it clear that it’s an exercise book, there’s no publisher or author, or title of the book.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Thank you for explaining the source.

If the teacher who wrote the sentence is a non-native speaker and not particularly familiar with the fire service, it is not surprising that he or she might use the term "water hydrant" (as well as "fireman," for that matter). In general, we say "hydrant" or "fire hydrant" for hydrants that supply water for firefighting purposes, and reserve "water hydrant" for other (less common) types of hydrants.

Super Saiyan

Cantonese
    Thanks for your help Florentia52. I just keep on searching, please see the below link, Hydrants

It could be a term used by Australian. It’s the first time I’ve read a fire hydrant called a water hydrant. I’m surprised!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I’m surprised!
    I'm not surprised. Fire hydrants have only one use -- only one purpose. They are sources of water. They produce water under pressure. A "water hydrant" is a clear and meaningful description for children. But it isn't the normal term.

On hot summer days, some cities open up some fire hydrants, turning each into a fountain of water that children (and grownups!) play in, during a very hot afternoon in the city. But the main purpose of a hydrant is to supply a huge amount of water for firemen to spray on fires.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It’s the first time I’ve read a fire hydrant called a water hydrant. I’m surprised!
    That's why we were interested in who wrote the words - a non-native speaker may have simply made a mistake. That would not surprise us.
    A quick (Google in the US) search reveals things (Amazon example) that are much smaller than fire hydrants, but seem to serve the same function on a smaller scale.
    (It is rather a redundant name, however, given the meaning of hydrant:))

Packard

USA, English
    In New York, it is illegal to use a fire hydrant for anything other than fighting fires. Only the fire departments are supposed to be access that fire hydrants, or issue permits for others to do so.

So I would understand it to mean that "fire hydrants" are for fighting fires; "water hydrants" are for other applications.

Farmers install "water hydrants" on their farms.

A Google search finds:

• Water hydrant
    • Yard hydrant
    • Bury hydrant

farm "water hydrant" - Google Search

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In the UK, a "[water] hydrant" is simply a fitting attached to a water main to draw water from it.

A "fire hydrant" is (usually) intended for the exclusive use of the Fire Brigade, who keep some sort of register of where they all are, and who come round periodically to inspect and test them.

< Previous | Next >