water's going down - going up

< Previous | Next >

EklipZ

French
Hi

Is the below sentence correct, wrong or awkward?

Why is the water going down in the sink it's going up in the shower?

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Yes, I'm afraid it does sound a little awkward. Did you mean this: 'Why is the water going down in the sink if it's going up in the shower?'

And assuming that is what you intended, then are you referring to the water levels (in the sink, and in the shower)?

EklipZ

French
    I try to describe the problem to our maintenance guy. I don't know what the problem is. But as you say it's more about levels (I assume).
    I should have said the following, may be: 'When I'm using the sink, why is the water going up in the shower?'
    But I wanted him to imagine the water going down and going up. How could I say that using going down and going up?

Last edited:

EklipZ

French
    Not the temperature. The level of water in the shower, the water is going up by the drain of the shower. I forgot to precise about the drain that's why I wasn't clear.

EklipZ

French
    Okay, I have just checked the answers here and PM. Thank you.

Why do you say water and not the water in this case?

Myridon

English - US
    "The water" would imply that you think the actual water running through the sink is going directly to the shower drain. It's more likely that the water going down the sink drain is pushing some other water already in the pipes (the water from your last shower) up through the shower drain. It's better to be vague when you don't know.

< Previous | Next >