Watertight Guarantee

< Previous | Next >

OsamaAbdullah

Arabic
Good day all

I am working on BBC's Kim Philby documentary, and I couldn't understand this sentence:

"And she had a watertight guarantee from the deputy head of MI6,
who gave what maybe the quintessential definition of Britain’s old boy network"

"She" refers to mis Maxie who had been recruiting people into MI6 and she was chief of staff of section D at the MI6.

what does it mean watertight guarantee in this context? and how is it giving the quintessential definition the MI6?

Thank you

• Loob

English UK
    Can you give us some more context, please, OsamaAbdullah - it would help if you gave us, say, the two sentences before this and the sentence that follows it. You can quote up to four sentences in total:).

Greyfriar

To give a 'watertight guarantee' is to give a guarantee which is totally sound and secure.

It was the deputy head who have Miss Maxie the guarantee. He it was, who gave the quintessential definition of Britain's old boy network.

OsamaAbdullah

Arabic
    Thanks Greyfriar
    @Loob: Here is more context:

"Young Kim Philby was just the sort of chap Miss Maxie was looking for.
    And she,Maxie, had a watertight guarantee from the deputy head of MI6,
    who gave what maybe the quintessential definition of Britain’s old boy network"

This is as far as it related to the context.

Thank you

Loob

English UK
    Can you give us the next sentence too, please, OsamaAbdullah? I expect that gives the clue as to what the "watertight guarantee" and "quintessential definition of Britain's old boy network" were.

OsamaAbdullah

Arabic
    Sorry Loob, it's not related. they go to another topic.

This is the next sentence "I was asked about him, and said I knew his people"

Loob

English UK
    Thank you, OsamaAbdullah.

Actually, it is related:).

It tells us what the Deputy Head of MI6 said when Miss Maxie asked him about Philby.

And when he said he knew Philby's family:
    (1) this was taken as a watertight guarantee of Phiby's soundness;
    (2) the fact that it was taken - and intended - as a watertight guarantee was a perfect demonstration of the operation of the "old-boy network".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >