Watertight Vs Impervious

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.

As the title says it.

what is the best of the two in the following :

1. The trench is lined with watertight materials so that water cannot seep into soil
2.The trench is lined with materials too/so impervious to water to seep into soil

I am for No.2

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    1. The trench is lined with watertight materials so that water cannot seep into the soil :tick:

2. The trench is lined with materials too/so impervious to water to prevent it from seeping into the soil

Uncle Jack

British English
    Since you mention "water" anyway, you could just use "impervious" instead of "impervious to water" (which is the most common use of "impervious"):
    The trench is lined with an impervious material so that water cannot seep into the soil.​

Having said that, watertight (Keith's sentence 1) would be my preferred choice.

Are you sure "materials" (plural) is correct? Although the lining may consist of several materials, usually only one of these is waterproof.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    1. The trench is lined with watertight materials so that water cannot seep into the soil :tick:

2. The trench is lined with materials too/so impervious to water to prevent it from seeping into the soil
    Thanks a lot, Keith Bradford.

Is it natural to modify No.2 to be read as:

The trench is lined with materials impervious for/against water to seep into the soil?

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Since you mention "water" anyway, you could just use "impervious" instead of "impervious to water" (which is the most common use of "impervious"):
    The trench is lined with an impervious material so that water cannot seep into the soil.​

Having said that, watertight (Keith's sentence 1) would be my preferred choice.

Are you sure "materials" (plural) is correct? Although the lining may consist of several materials, usually only one of these is waterproof.
    :thumbsup:Many thanks, Uncle Jack:)

< Previous | Next >