watery manner of speech

< Previous | Next >

hyperslow

Polish
Hullo there!

Yesterday I met a guy whose manner of speech gave an expression as if he had eaten an orange seconds before. That was really strange because I couldn't focus on what he was saying. I tried to put it into words, this manner of his, I fumbled for words but in vain. It's been in my head since yesterday. How would you describe it. Watery might not be the word but I can't come up with anything better. Let me give a sample of my perception of yesterday's incident. All made up, by the way.

His lips parted in an attempt to utter some words that sounded like a swishing stream. A thin layer of saliva appeard on his lower lip, I though that his lips must have been under irrigation, I thought of all juicy fruit, I thought of being thirsty. His speech was image creating and full of imagery.
'I've been thinking of you for some thirty days since the thirst quencher we had together.' he said. Blimey, all the 'ths' caught my attention, I could not stop staring at his lips producing a quiet stream of words...

If there is a name for this kind of speech please post.
HYP

• JustKate

I don't think so. I, at least, found the use of watery here confusing. If you look up some possible definitions of watery (from the WR dictionary:"tearful; weepy" or "insipid, thin, or weak"), it sounds possible, but for one thing, neither of those says what you want to say. And even if I wanted to describe speech as "weepy" or "insipid," I wouldn't use watery because for me, watery is always something visual, e.g., "watery eyes," or taste/touch, e.g., "The soup is watery."

hyperslow

Polish
    I thought so. Anything comes to your mind? What do you think of slushy - it also gives an idea of wetness:D

< Previous | Next >