waves were <dashing/crashing> against the rocks

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
I read a previous thread, but my context is different. Is it okay to say "Huge waves were dashing against the rocks".? In this context, is it possible to replace "dash" with "crash", but keep the preposition, or "into" is better?

Thank you

• sdgraham

USA English
    Hello,
    I read a previous thread, but my context is different. Is it okay to say "Huge waves were dashing against the rocks".? In this context, is it possible to replace "dash" with "crash", but keep the preposition, or "into" is better?
    No. "Dash" is transitive in this context and "crash" intransitive.

Intransitively, "dash" means to "run fast." Waves cannot run.

Rocks are very hard. Generally nothing is dashed into them. The waves can dash a ship onto them, however.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Gandalf, it would save us much time if you said immediately that you altered a sentence from the Macmillan Dictionary, and gave a link to it:
    dash
    INTRANSITIVE
    if water dashes against something, it hits it violently
    dash against: Huge waves dashed against the side of the boat.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I did not notice "intransitive" for some reason, please excuse me. It is all my fault, I know :S. I am so sorry. In the "rocks" context, what verb can I use? Can't I use crash?
    Thank you

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    So, I can say "Huge waves dashed against the side of the boat"., but not "Huge waves dashed against the rocks".? I am not questioning your native instincts, but the definition of Macmillan makes it look possible. Could you please tell me if it is possible, because I am a little confused now?

Thank you :)

ewie

English English
    Huge waves dashed/crashed against the side of the boat:)
    Huge waves dashed/crashed against the rocks:)

All these sound fine to me. I'm less keen on versions with into:(

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Thanks, but are you saying that "Huge waves dashed against the rocks"., makes no sense at all? Huge waves dashed the boat against the rocks. Is that what you suggest, teddy?

Thank you

< Previous | Next >