wax ignorant

< Previous | Next >

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
Context:

Resist the urge to wax ignorant on her naughty bits.

To play ignorant? To actually ignore?

october15

• timpeac

English (England)
    Resist the urge to talk and talk and talk about her genitals in an ignorant manner.
    Yes - that would be my interpretation too. "To wax lyrical" is a kind of set phrase meaning to talk and talk in an over-blown way about something, so I think this is a jokey adaptation of that saying. I also agree with Bibiolept's comment.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The word "wax" means to grow, or increase, or to become to a greater degree. A moon waxes during the first part of the lunar month when it increases in size. To wax fat means to grow fatter. To wax lyrical means to stop being prosaic and to become lyrical instead. To wax ignorant, if it means anything (and I am not sure it does) would mean to become increasingly ignorant.

Last edited:

october15

Portugal-Portuguese
    Please provide context and background, october 15.
    The problem with this author is that he provides little context for some of his playful lines, so I'm often forced to guess what he means.

The character in question would be in serious trouble with the woman's husband unless he resisted the urge to...

But the matter is solved.

Thanks anyway.

october15

Loob

English UK
    Source.

Either the character is deliberately twisting "wax eloquent"/"wax lyrical" into "wax ignorant", or it's a malapropism.

I suspect the former.

Last edited:

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    The word "wax" means to grow, or increase, or to become to a greater degree. A moon waxes during the first part of the lunar month when it increases in size. To wax fat means to grow fatter. To wax lyrical means to stop being prosaic and to become lyrical instead. To wax ignorant, if it means anything (and I am not sure it does) would mean to become increasingly ignorant.
    While you are, of course, absolutely right about what 'wax' really means, since phrases like "wax poetic" and "wax lyrical" tend to involve the person blathering on for a while, I suspect the author did mean something like "to speak ignorantly" rather than "to grow ignorant".

< Previous | Next >