wax into

< Previous | Next >

Karavostassis

Catalan - Catalunya
Good morning!

Could you help me with this phrase? I been thinking a lot and I don't get the meaning...

"The cloth of his suit is decently worn and the collar of his shirt is decently clean, and his life stretches ahead of him decently waxing into a solid middle age."

¿Does it mean that he is going to have a solid middle age?

Thanks.

K.

• ewie

English English
    Good morning, Karavo.
    Waxing is what the moon does when it grows into a full moon. (When it does the opposite it's waning). So waxing here suggests a slow, gradual, unavoidable transition from one state into another. All those mentions of decent and solid suggest that his life is and always will be very proper, very respectable.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    ... decently waxing into a solid middle age.
    That is a very strange use of waxing. It's also a rather strange use of decently - though of course as decently has already been used twice this is deliberate.
    When used to refer to a change, waxing ought to mean increasing or growing.

It means that on the basis of his current habits, the writer expects him to eventually have a solid middle age. Now I wonder what that could be?
    Probably a middle age that is decent :), respectable, unexciting, average and pleasant in a very mundane kind of way.

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    It is analagous to the waxing and waning phases of the moon.

A waxing moon is when the moon is progressively heading towards becoming full. Here, "solid middle-age" is analagous to a full moon.

After a full moon, the waning phase begins, where the moon gradually become crescent shaped again (less full), and eventually turns all black.

< Previous | Next >