way / away

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
In Standard Dutch, "way" and "away" are both simply weg.

In my mother's Belgian dialect, way is weg, away is eweg. (first e sounds like a schwa, just like the English a)

Is there a connection between these two words in other languages?

• TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Italian:
    - way = via (but it's not the only translation; there are actually quite a few depending on the context; see here);
    - away = via (main translation but there could be a couple more options depending on the context; may vary especially when it appears in phrasal verbs; see here).

Dymn

I'd even say it's a weird question to just ask how to say "away" in Catalan because we don't have such a word and it depends on context.
    • not at home, like on a trip or out of town - fora ("out, outside")
    • in another direction - no adverb possible, just various options
      • "go away!" - ves-te'n! (form of anar-se'n, anar = "to go"), fora!
      • "to take away" (as in "to remove") - llevar, treure
      • "to take away" (e.g. food) - emportar-se, endur-se (portar, dur = "to carry, bring")
      • "to send away" (e.g. a customer for misbehaviour) - fer fora ("to do out"), despatxar
      • "to run away" - fugir, córrer lluny ("to run far")
    So in short there are no simple translations. But if you want to know some metaphorical usages of via and its derivatives:

fer via - "to hurry up"
    aviar - "to send off", like to get rid of someone's presence in an abrupt and impertinent manner
    aviat - "soon" (in Majorca "quickly")

So I'd say
    via in Catalan takes a connotation of hastiness rather than "towards afar" as in Germanic languages.

Red Arrow

Dutch - Belgium
    Same in French. "away" is not a separate word.

In Swedish there is:
    way = väg
    away = iväg

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    The same situation of Catalan is present also in Sardinian, we don't have a translation for "way" or "away".

1. "go away!" - northern Sardinian : baedícche (literally in Latin "vade tibi hicce" = go yourself from here) - southern Sardinian : baidíndi (literally "vade tibi inde" = go yourself from here)
    2. "get out of the way! - essidícche! or essidínde! (literally "exi tibi hicce" or "exi tibi inde" - exit yourself from here)
    3. "to take away" (as in "to remove") - bogare (from Latin "vocare" - to call, to distract, to attract)
    4. "to take away" (e.g. food) - levare or leare (from Latin "levare" - to take); jùghere = to bring with yourself (from Latin "ducere" - to lead, or from "Jungere" - to join)
    5. "to send away" (e.g. a customer for misbehaviour) - dispacciare / jagarare (verb derived from "jàgaru" - hunting dog)
    6. "to run away" - ("to run far") - si che fuire (literally "sibi hicce fugire" - to run away himself from here)
    7. "to go away" - si ch'andare
    8. "to go away in a hurry" - si l'avviare
    Examples :
    1) go away! go out! -> baedícche a fora!
    2) get out of the way! -> essidícche /essidínde dae mesu!
    3) remove your car from my door! -> bògande sa macchina dae sa janna!

4) I take away the dish with me -> mi che levo/leo/jutto su piattu cun megus.
    5) I've sent them away -> che los happo dispacciados / jagarados
    6) the prisoners ran away from prison -> sos presoneris si che sun fuidos dae presone
    7) I went away -> mi che so andadu
    8) I went away in a hurry -> mi l'happo avviada in presse

P.S.
    A cognate of the Latin / Italian "Via" is present in Sardinian as "Bia", but the meaning is slightly different. Bia literally means way, street, road, but it's almost never used, it's replaced by "Carrela or Carrera" (street, road); instead it's used in composite expressions :
    1. essere in bia = to be on the way
    2. pònere in bia = to put in disorder

Examples :

1. so in bia pro recuìre an domo = I'm on the way to return home
    2. sos pitzinnos nos han postu sa domo in bia = the children have put (to us) the house in disorder

Last edited:

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

Way: «Οδός» [ɔˈðɔ.s] (fem.) < Classical fem. «ὁδός» hŏdós
    Eg. «Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή» - "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6 NKJV)

Away: «Μακριά» [ma.kriˈa] (adv.) & learned «μακρά» [maˈkra] (adv.) < Byz. Gr. adv. «μακρέα» makréa («μακριά» with synizesis) which is the adverbialization of the neut. nom. pl. «μακρά» măkrắ of the adj. «μακρός, -ά, -όν» măkrós (masc.), măkrā́ (fem.), măkrón (neut.) --> long, great, high, deep, tall, far, lengthy (PIE *meh₂ḱ- long, thin, tall cf Lat. macer, Proto-Germanic *magraz > Ger./Dt./Nor/D./Swe. mager, Eng. meager).

So, no connection between the two.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Last edited:

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
    Greek:
    Away: «Μακριά» .
    Isn't Μακριά = far away?
    ---

Spanish:

away = fuera! (can be said to a cat, dog, person: 'leave!')

[to be away (from home) estar fuera ⧫ estar ausente
    she’s away today hoy está fuera
    he’s away for a week está fuera una semana
    Collins]

The way = el camino

Last edited:

Armas

Finnish
    No connection in Finnish:

way = tie
    away = pois, related to poiketa "to diverge" and poikki "(something elongated) cut/broken" and "across"

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    Italian:
    - way = via (but it's not the only translation; there are actually quite a few depending on the context; see here);
    - away = via (main translation but there could be a couple more options depending on the context; may vary especially when it appears in phrasal verbs; see here).
    How about "fuori"? Is that only "outside"?

Of course in a lot of languages there are no prefixes or particles (…), as in English (go away), Dutch/ German (weggaan/ -gehen). French has lexical words: go in, entrer; go out, sortir, etc. I think in the latter languages it is impossible to point out the semantic resemblance (out, away for example), although in Latin-based words you still notice the remainders: ex-port, im-port, etc. But that is no longer productive, I think.

Last edited:

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    But you cannot combine it with a verb really, or can you? Not something like *gettare fuori, except literally perhaps (I find mainly buttare and gettare via)...
    Yes you can combine it. Also as synonymous of "away".

Marco è via per lavoro = Marco è fuori per lavoro

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    But you cannot combine it with a verb really, or can you? Not something like *gettare fuori, except literally perhaps (I find mainly buttare and gettare via)...
    You can indeed combine "fuori" with verbs of action. "Buttare fuori" (where the meaning of "buttare" is similar to that of "gettare") means "to kick out" or "send off" (as in football / soccer), for example.

Edit: or were you asking whether or not you can combine "via" with verbs of action? Either way, you can.

nimak

Macedonian
    Macedonian:

There is no connection between the two. Also, the word "way" has several meanings in Macedonian.

way = пат [pat], meaning: road, path
    way = насока [nasoka] or правец [pravec], meaning: direction, heading
    way = начин [način], meaning: manner, method
    away = далеку [daleku]; подалеку [podaleku]

I think it is similar in all Slavic languages, like in:

Russian:

way = путь [put'], meaning: road, path
    way = способ [sposob], meaning: manner, method
    away = далеко [daleko]; подальше [podal'she]

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I'd like to hear a little bit more about the precise structure of далеку/ далеко (and of подальше)… Is that an adverb, or an adverb based on a noun? Google T tells me that they mean 'far' and 'far away', but is Google T right. It does seem plausible: "away!" implies indeed: "Get far from me!"

In both English and German, "way" means among others "manner", "direction", "route".
    way - Wörterbuch Englisch-Deutsch - WordReference.com
    I have my doubts about the use of the German Weg in this sense. I am not a native speaker, but I cannot see Weg being used as "method"... In German "Art und Weise" could be used, I believe, not "Weg". It is still less the case in Dutch: "way" is more like "road" in the most general sense, not "manner"... Way of life: levensstijl (style), manier (wijze?) van leven, …

In my mother's Belgian dialect, way is weg, away is eweg. (first e sounds like a schwa, just like the English a)
    Is that a West Flemish dialect, Red Arrow?

Last edited:

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    I see… I know something like "(kwaad)geweg" (in an angry way), but that might be something different than what you are referrring to. '-geweg" must be something like "wise", not "away"...

Last edited:

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    I'd like to hear a little bit more about the precise structure of далеку/ далеко (and of подальше)… Is that an adverb, or an adverb based on a noun? Google T tells me that they mean 'far' and 'far away', but is Google T right. It does seem plausible: "away!" implies indeed: "Get far from me!"
    Russian adv. далеко /daleko/ means far (away), a long (a)way from (like in Czech: adv. daleko < adj. далёкий, daleký = distant, far(away), remote);

away in the sense "Hände weg von ...!", "Hands off ...!":
    Руки прочь /proč/ от ...!
    Ruce pryč od ...!

Last edited:

nimak

Macedonian
    @ThomasK @bibax

Hi! Well, I only know some basic Russian, and I forgot about прочь [proč]. In Macedonian there is no such a word.

From what I know in Russian adverbs далеко [daleko] and подальше [podal'še] mean: far; away; far away, long away...

Samples:

English: Stay away from me!
    Russian: Держись от меня подальше! [Deržis' ot menja podal'še!]
    Macedonian: Држи се подалеку од мене! [Drži se podaleku od mene!]
    or Стој подалеку од мене! [Stoj podaleku od mene!]

English: It is far away.
    Russian: Это далеко. [Eto daleko.]
    Macedonian: Далеку е. [Daleku e.]
    or Тоа е далеку. [Toa e daleku.]

I would let people who know Russian to explain it better.

Talking about way and away I recalled another example in Macedonian.
    There are two words noun страна [strana] (literal meaning: side) and adverb настрана [nastrana] (meaning: aside, away, not close to...) which can be used in this meaning:

English: You are going the wrong way!
    Macedonian: Одите во погрешна страна! [Odite vo pogrešna strana!] or more common: Одите во погрешен правец! [Odite vo pogrešen pravec!]

English: Stay away from me!
    Macedonian: Стој настрана од мене! [Stoj nastrana od mene!]

Perseas

Greek
    I have my doubts about the use of the German Weg in this sense. I am not a native speaker, but I cannot see Weg being used as "method"... In German "Art und Weise" could be used, I believe, not "Weg".
    "Weg" is not as common in this sense as in English (you're right), but it's used sometimes. I'm referring to this:

4.⟨etw. auf legalem Wege, Weg tun⟩ etw. auf legale Art und Weise, durch legales Vorgehen tun
    Beispiele:
    auf gesetzlichem Wege vorgehen
    einen diplomatischen Zwischenfall auf friedlichem Wege beilegen.
    DWDS – Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache

< Previous | Next >