Way of an expression

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Bhikkhu1991, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Bhikkhu1991 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello,

Sentence A. I am having difficulty in changing the first independent clause of the sentence into an active one as well as in changing the second independent clause of the same sentence into a passive one.

Could you help me to arrange the above sentence A correctly, please?

I am having a sentence containing two independent clauses, one passive clause and one active clause, and I want to form two sentences, one active sentence and one passive one. I am trying to say that I want to change the first part of the passive sentence, an independent clause, into an active form so that I can form a fully active sentence. After that I want to change the second part of the active sentence, an independent clause, into a passive form so that I can form a fully passive sentence.

Thank you.

With best wishes.

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Canberra, Australia
    English - Australia
    OK, I think I understand what you're trying to do. Is it:

I am having difficulty in changing the first independent clause of the sentence into an active one. Changing the second independent clause of the same sentence into a passive one is also presenting me some difficulties.

?

The first sentence is active, the second passive. Is this what you were aiming to do, or is there another 'sentence A' you forgot to insert? :)

3. Bhikkhu1991 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello cropje_jnr,

I greatly appreciate your way of expression. In fact, your expression is what I wanted, but the final part of your reply is irrelevant.

Thank you.

With best wishes.

4. Bhikkhu1991 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello cropje_jnr,

According to Oxford Advanced Learned's Dictionary( 7th edition), the use of 'present somebody' requires 'with' immediately after them whereas 'present something' requires no particle immeidiately after them. Thus I suggest you can express it in either the following ways:

1. Changing the second independent clause of the same sentence into a passive one is also presenting me with some difficulties.

2. Changing the second independent clause of the same sentence into a passive one is also presenting some difficulties.

Thank you.

With best wishes.