Way to ask a DJ for a song by an artist

Xiroi

Banned
España
I'd like to know how to ask for a song (no one in particular) by an artist in an idiomatic way. I colleague says he uses expressions like "Do you have any AAA's music?" (AAA being the artist's name) but personally I find it a bit strange.

I was thinking of something like: Do you have anything by AAAA? Would that be idiomatic?

I'm basically interested in BE but suggestions about other varieties are also welcome.

• Scribblerr

English US
    "Do you have any AAAA?" would be the most idiomatic way to ask around here. "Do you have anything by AAAA?" is much more formal, and sounds like what my mother might ask.

Matching Mole

England, English
    In the UK the usual form is probably "Have you got any...?" (dreaded by many DJs!). E.g., "Have you got any Sugababes?". If it's a title: "Have you got Push The Button?" "Do you have any Sugababes?" is OK, but starting to sound a little formal to my ears.

I agree with Scribblerr, in this context "Do you have anything by..." is a too formal or polite.

Xiroi

Banned
    España
    Thanks for your replies. I'll try not to sound like a granny. ;)

Would you still say "Do you have any AAA's music, as my colleague claims?

Matching Mole

England, English
    Thanks for your replies. I'll try not to sound like a granny. ;)

Would you still say "Do you have any AAA's music, as my colleague claims?
    I would never ask a DJ such a question, but if I were to, I would not use that phrase. It's far too formal or old-fashioned, or "square" as they used to call it. It's not quite: "I say old chap, do you have tunes by Noel Coward?", but it's getting that way.

Actually, if you put a real artist in the sentence (I don't think As, Xs, etc., make for useful example sentences), then it sounds awkward in any case. E.g. "Do you have any Queen's music" just isn't natural. If you actually want to use the word "music" it would be more natural to say "Do you have any music by Queen".

Last edited:

Masood

British English
    I was thinking of something like: Do you have anything by AAAA? Would that be idiomatic?

I'm basically interested in BE but suggestions about other varieties are also welcome.
    Hi Xiroi,

I think your version works fine.

I don't really know why, but I have a very slight preference for (for example):

Have you got anything by The Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Cheers

< Previous | Next >