Waypoint Arrival Alarm?

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Good evening!

I would like you to tell me if I get the following sentence right:

Waypoint Arrival Alarm sets the distance you would like to have alarm sound when approaching a waypoint.

I understand the sentence in the following manner:

Waypoint Arrival Alarm sets the distance at which you would like the alarm to sound when (you are) approaching a waypoint.

Am I far from the truth? Thank you.

• Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    If "Waypoint Arrival Alarm" is a proper name, that is, the specific name given to a product by the company that makes it, and not a description (which should not be capitalized), then it should be "The waypoint arrival alarm" or "A waypoint arrival alarm." Or is "Waypoint Arrival Alarm" the name of a function?

In any case, the later references need a definite article: "the alarm."

The alarm does not sound "a distance."

If "Waypoint Arrival Alarm" is a function of a larger system, then your second sentence is closer to idiomatic English. Presumably, however, the user of the alarm sets the distance, the alarm itself doesn't set anything. Therefore, it would better to say either "Use 'Waypoint Arrival Alarm' to set the distance at which you would like the alarm to sound when (you are) approaching a waypoint" or "'Waypoint Arrival Alarm' is used to set the distance . . ."

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    Thank you, Fabulist. You helped me a lot. Waypoint Arrival Alarm is the name of the function of the Marine Chart Plotter.

< Previous | Next >