wc

yakor

Russian
Hi. I wonder if "wc" is short for "water closet" or "without charge"?

Last edited:
  • Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    WC is an abbreviation for "water closet". Note that this abbreviation is not widely known or commonly used in the US.

Last edited:

yakor

Russian
    So, would "Free toilet" be 'WC WC'?

:rolleyes:
    Every toilet is denoted as "wc", even when you pay for it. So, I wonder if it is correct to mark it "wc" when you pay for it. (considering "wc" is cut for "without charge").

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think I should point out here that although the abbreviation WC (=water closet) is British rather than American usage, it's not commonly seen on doors and signs over here. The word "toilet" is now generally preferred, with little silhouettes on each door indicating which is which. :)

Hitchhiker

English-US
    The abbreviation, WC comes from the English term, water closet, but WC on its own is used in many non-English speaking countries in Europe for toilet, even if they don't know the English words.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Every toilet is denoted as "wc", even when you pay for it. So, I wonder if it is correct to mark it "wc" when you pay for it. (considering "wc" is cut for "without charge").
    Wen you see WC on the door of a toilet, it means "water closet" - it does NOT mean without charge, world cup or Weatherford College (or any of the other 152 abbreviations on the list)!

< Previous | Next >