We’ll destroy you as a man!

< Previous | Next >

seitt

English/Welsh
Greetings

While in Greece many years ago, I was told that the junta made this hideous threat to Αλέξανδρος Παναγούλης.

This is how I remember the original Greek:
Θα σε καταστρέψουμε σαν άντρα.

Please, is the Greek correct?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

• Perseas

Hello Eltheza :)

Hmmm, in some cases σαν and ως are interchangeable, and this is such a case, in my opinion. There have been discussions among philologists about this subject.

In this example ως / σαν denotes somewhat emphatically that a person possesses a quality, here the masculine (or human) quality, and they would deprive him of this quality.

Eltheza

English - England (Midlands)
    Thanks Perseas;)!

I have a book* by Ιωάννα Παπαζαφείρη - ΄Λάθη στη Χρήση της Γλώσσας μας' (Εκτη έκδωση - ΣΜΙΛH) and she discusses the ως/σαν issue at length:rolleyes:!

(I believe she used to write articles about language usage for Καθημερινή.)

*In fact, I've got two copies of it!

Ancolie

french
    Thanks Perseas;)!

I have a book* by Ιωάννα Παπαζαφείρη - ΄Λάθη στη Χρήση της Γλώσσας μας' (Εκτη έκδωση - ΣΜΙΛH) and she discusses the ως/σαν issue at length:rolleyes:!

(I believe she used to write articles about language usage for Καθημερινή.)

*In fact, I've got two copies of it!
    Would you sell me one of the two, if you think it's useful ? :p

Eltheza

English - England (Midlands)
    Bonjour and Καλημέρα, Ancolie:):)!

Λοιπόν, the one copy has my annotations scribbled all over every page and the other copy, which is in pristine condition, was dedicated to me by a close Greek friend who is familiar with my linguistic obsessions:D!

It's interesting if you ever come across it. It was first published in the 1980s, I think. Ιωάννα Παπαζαφείρη was a passionate champion of Δημοτική as opposed to Καθαρεύουσα.

Χάρηκα πολύ;)!

Ancolie

french
    Bonjour and Καλημέρα, Ancolie:):)!

Λοιπόν, the one copy has my annotations scribbled all over every page and the other copy, which is in pristine condition, was dedicated to me by a close Greek friend who is familiar with my linguistic obsessions:D!

It's interesting if you ever come across it. It was first published in the 1980s, I think. Ιωάννα Παπαζαφείρη was a passionate champion of Δημοτική as opposed to Καθαρεύουσα.

Χάρηκα πολύ;)!
    Ευχαριστώ, Ελθεζα, τουλάχιστον έχω τώρα το όνομα το βιβλίου ! Το επόμενο ταξίδι μου στην Ελλάδα...

seitt

English/Welsh
    Many thanks - is there a way to threaten unambiguously to destroy his masculinity? That's how I understood it.

Perseas

Mostly this is the meaning (masculinity). Actually I didn't know the case and I assumed that by this phrase they threatened his personality in general.

Last edited:

seitt

English/Welsh
    Thanks - ah, how about Θα σou καταστρέψουμε την αντρειά./Θα καταστρέψουμε την αντρειά σou.? That would be a specific threat against his ability to function sexually as a man, wouldn't it?

shawnee

English - Australian
    I have an irrepressible urge to add an ς in all instances of the use of άντρα here. Please put me out of my misery.

shawnee

English - Australian
    Shawnee: in my understanding, it is accusative case in all those instances. Therefore 'andra' is correct.
    Thank you bearded man. I thought it was correct, but I wondered if in usage it was not often misused with an s ending - often enough I guess, to render it passable.

< Previous | Next >