we are compatting #coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Does "we are compatting #coronavirus" actually refer to "we are combatting #coronavirus"? Is the misspelling common in English?

Pope Francis
@pontifex
While we are compatting #coronavirus, we must continue the effort to prevent and cure #malaria which threatens millions of persons in many countries. I am near to all who are sick, to those who care for them.
11:11 PM · Apr 25, 2020·TweetDeck
compatting.JPG

• sdgraham

USA English
    Does "we are compatting #coronavirus" actually refer to "we are combatting #coronavirus"? Is the misspelling common in English?
    Yes and no, but, in general, non-native speakers, e.g. Pope Francis, often have trouble with spelling.
    (and, since spelling no longer is emphasized in American schools, natives often have problems as well)
    Edit: Fixed blatant typo in "spelling," thanks to post #5 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chez

English English
    Forgive me, New America::oops:

Beautiful English is seen less and less. Technology is encroaching upon it.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    As the 'combat' words have a <b> in Spanish, Italian, and Latin, as well as English, there's no obvious excuse for getting this wrong.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Wow! A typo in Twitter:) I presume Twitter does not have a spell-checker, or if so, it can be disabled (that's the only remarkable thing here, given that whoever wrote or translated this into English, didn't use it) What next, the covfefe apockerlips? While he may have a direct line to God, he is still human and the message (don't deprive patients with malaria of a critical drug on the whim of someone who isn't qualified to recommend it for other diseases) - is an important humanitarian use of his pulpit.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Plus I think some thought and time would go into Francis's communications. Enough to pick up basic errors.

I don't know much about the inner workings of the Vatican, but I don't imagine there are cardinals on their knees, crying, saying 'I beg you not to say that, Your Holiness', nor are there other cardinals with their hands over their eyes crying 'Don't send that, don't press "send", please don't - aw, Jesus, he actually sent it.'

Unlike other world centres of influence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.