We are each the muse to the other

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kmcbest, Jan 29, 2016.

1. kmcbest

kmcbest Member

Mainland China
    Mandarin Chinese
    This is from a comic book:

I'm not having you overwrite the truth. We will not be victim of your revisionism. We were each the muse to the other.

I really don't understand this sentence, especially "the muse to each other", does "muse" mean "inspiration" here?

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Imagine two people whom we call 'A' and 'B'. If A and B were each "the muse to the other", then A inspired B to create things and B inspired A to create things.

"Inspiration" is a great synonym for "muse" in that example.

3. kmcbest

kmcbest Member

Mainland China
    Mandarin Chinese
    Thank you olwman5, but how do I understand the whole sentence?

4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    You posted three sentences, but you asked only about the expression in the third one. Owlman answered your question. If you have other questions about other sentences, you need to ask them in new threads.

5. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    Where did you see this, kmchest?

Who is talking and what have they done?
    Owlman has explained the sentence as well as it can be explained without more information.

If you have questions about the other sentences, you will need to start a new thread about each of them. Please to include the other information in the first post. It will help people answer your questions. :)

Cross-posted.

6. kmcbest

kmcbest Member

Mainland China
    Mandarin Chinese
    OK I see. But the dilemma I'm facing, is that even though I literally understand each sentence, I can't get the meaning of the author. In this case, what should I ask? Should the new post titled "help me the meaning of these sentences"?