We are gathered here today

< Previous | Next >
Hello, friends

I'd like to make sure that these two sentences mean the same and they do sound natural to you.
1) We are gathered here today to commemorate the sacrifice of these heroes.
2) We've gathered here today to commemorate the sacrifice of these heroes.

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards,
JW

• I see no great difference between them but 1) would sound more natural to me.
    Thank you very much for the response.

Just out of sheer curiosity, why does #1 sound more natural to you?
    The contraction seems a little odd to me in somebody's attempt to address a group on a solemn occasion. I am not troubled by have gathered rather than are gathered.
    The contraction was a sad result of my sloppy writing. I'm sorry. I share the same view on how solemn addresses are supposed to be held before a group of people. Thank you for pointing this out.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I agree with what the others have said. It might be useful to note that in the past the auxiliary verb used to form the perfective was be rather than have (similar to what is true of French now), so you might say, 'I am come' or 'I am arrived'. If you see the form in the Book of Common Prayer (1662)
    DEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this Congregation, to join together this man and this woman in holy Matrimony ; ..[source].
    it is not clear whether we are dealing with gathered as an adjective or past participle. I think the use of this and other similar texts have encouraged us to continue saying 'we are gathered'.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's very traditional so in traditional ceremonies it continues to be used. It feels right if you appreciate tradition.

You probably certainly wouldn't use it for an everyday meeting.

We are gathered here today for this quarterly sales meeting. :thumbsdown:

< Previous | Next >