We are the most free <as> children

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
It is said that we are the most free as children and young adults to think and pursue our imaginative thoughts. This becomes less true as you age, probably because responsibilities become your priorities. However, there is a danger in not living imaginatively past your youth, and it is that you will never truly be fulfilled. (from : Get off the Sidewalk and Get on the Highway: Living a Dynamic Life by R.O. Bray)
Is a bold word 'as' meaning 'when'?

Can I replace the first sentence with "It is said that we are the most free, when we are children and young adults, to think and pursue our imaginative thoughts."?

Last edited:
  • Barque

Tamil
    Is a bold word 'as' meaning 'when'?
    Here, "as" means, roughly, "in the form of". You can understand it as "when".

If you want to replace "as" with "when we are", I suggest re-arranging the clauses to make it clearer.

It is said that we are the most free to think and pursue our imaginative thoughts when we are children and young adults.

Last edited:

mink-shin

Korean - Korea, Republic of
    Hi, Barque. Thanks for replying.

I had found an information about a preposition 'as' from W.R.Dictionary
    prep.
    1. in the role, function, job, or status of:to act as leader.
    You said that it meant "in the form of". Could I understand it as the first meaning in the dictionary? I think that they, which are "in the form of" and "in the role, function, job, or status of", are similar with each other.

I suggest re-arranging the clauses to make it clearer.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

< Previous | Next >