We are trying very hard to give you a 1% discount (try very hard?)

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
I am going to write an email to a customer about his request for price reduction.

"We checked and have found there is not any margin for price reduction; however, to support you, we are trying very hard to give you a 1% discount . Please see the new prices attached."

For the part in bold, I want to imply it's very difficult for us to reduce prices, but we are actually doing it for you. I am wondering if "trying" there is not quite clear; would you understand it as "I am trying" but may not actually give you the discount.

Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree. Trying misleads. If you are still trying you have not succeeded yet.

I think it would sound good to replace are trying very hard to with are able to, with everything else unchanged. Using "able" provides the idea of "the most we are able". And the following "Please see the new prices" makes it clear you are not just able, but actually doing 1%.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    I agree. Trying misleads. If you are still trying you have not succeeded yet.

I think it would sound good to replace are trying very hard to with are able to, with everything else unchanged. Using "able" provides the idea of "the most we are able". And the following "Please see the new prices" makes it clear you are not just able, but actually doing 1%.
    Hi, Dojibear. Thank you :)

I am wondering if it's also good to say "doing very hard" to replace the part in bold in OP. I would like to imply even offering a 1% off is very much hard for us.

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >