we can’t make any sense of talk of “the mystical.”

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
The speaker says "But we can only make sense in speech of what lies within the world" in the first place, then he says "we can’t make any sense of talk of “the mystical.”"

Well, we see he is telling us "only make sense in speech" and "can't make any sense of talk/speech."
They appear to run against each other. But the latter is "talk of the mystical" - as if "the mystical" is not within the world.

The question of the thread is: Is the speaker reminding us that "the mystical" is not within the world we're in?

(Dobbins)This because everything in the world might have been other than it is; but then what happens to be good might have been bad, but life’s “mystery” is of necessity good and can’t be bad. So the mystery isn’t anywhere to be found, for it can’t be found, IN life. But we can only make sense in speech of what lies within the world, or what we see or experience in the course of our life. So once again, we can’t make any sense of talk of “the mystical.”

-Scientific American

Source

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Well, we see he is telling us "only make sense in speech" and "can't make any sense of talk/speech." They appear to run against each other.
    No they don't - they are entirely compatible.
    The question of the thread is: Is the speaker reminding us that "the mystical" is not within the world we're in?
    Yes, and it is not and cannot be "in this world": the mythical is a figment of our personal imagination.

The speaker is explaining that Wittgenstein says that we can only sensibly talk about things that are "real" and in this world. (If I talk about a dragon to you, your idea of a dragon and my idea of a dragon might be so different that we cannot understand each other1. If dragons existed in the real world, then there would be no such difficulty.)

I suggest you read Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - Wikipedia - there is a Chinese version. This will give you some understanding of Wittgenstein's philosophy.

1 A question in my wife's Philosophy final was "If dragons and unicorns are both mythical, how do we know that they are not the same?" :D

Last edited:

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I see no contradiction. He says "mystery ... can't be found IN life" and "we can only make sense of what is "IN life" .....so we can't make sense of "the mystical" [because it can't be found IN life]
    cross-posted

< Previous | Next >