We can leave to go to (coffee shop name) after you're done supper.

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

A roommate and I are going to be going to a coffee shop to study after he finishes his supper. I was wondering how I could say this in Chinese: "We can leave to go to (coffee shop name) after you're done supper."
In Chinese, would this be "你吃完饭,我们可以去(coffee house name)(了?)"
"你吃完饭,我们再去... (了?)" (Does 再 mean "again"? I've heard it used in this type of situation but am not 100% sure of its meaning here)
Thanks!

• RA-Horakthy

Chinese
    等你吃完饭了咱们去咖啡馆呗
    吃完了一起去咖啡馆呀
    呆会去咖啡馆不
    你吃完之后我们可以去咖啡馆

The only situation you should use 再 is your friend insist to go to the coffee place right now when he's not finish his eating. It usually have a persuasive meaning.

Mom: 等你吃完饭了再看手机
    mom: play with your phone after dinner

yuechu

Canada, English
    再次感谢你!(再次谢谢你?)

I recognize all the words; I just have to learn to use them in the correct order in Chinese! Thanks for your suggestions!

The only situation you should use 再 is your friend insist to go to the coffee place right now when he's not finish his eating. It usually have a persuasive meaning.

Mom: 等你吃完饭了再看手机
    mom: play with your phone after dinner
    明白了! :) That's a good thing you told me because I thought it was neutral (didn't realize it had to do with persuading people)!

RA-Horakthy

Chinese
    Yea... there are a lot of small things could make a big different. I spent the first 16 years of my life learning it haha.

albert_laosong

Mandarin
    I think the most natural chinese sentence would be: 等你吃完了,我们去XXX喝咖啡。or as a suggestion: 等你吃完了,我们去XXX喝咖啡,好吗?

再 can mean again, but colloquially 再 often means following a sequence, the exact meaning would be "you do A thing only after you have finished B thing first or after you have finished what you are doing now”
    for example,mother speaks to her kid:
    吃完饭再喝水。
    刷完牙再睡觉。

or husband speaks to wife:
    我准备先去一趟医院,然后再去上班。

or you want to have a word with someone but find him in meeting with other people, you just say:
    你们先聊, 我等会再来。

or you tell friends to go first, you will catch up later:
    你们先走,我等会儿再过去。

SuperXW

As others have suggested, 再 is better not to be used in your context.
    Because 再 stresses the sequence. In your case, that's not what you want to stress.
    What you want to stress, is your voice of suggestion, so you can add 好吗?/可以吧?/怎么样?etc after your question.
    "...后" is usually good enough to translate "after...". Such as 你吃完饭后.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    「去咖啡館」(go to the coffee shop) 好像是事先約好的, 什麼時候出發 (i.e., "after you're done with supper") 才是新資訊。 我懂 "We can leave for the coffee shop" 或 "We can go to the coffee shop", 但 "We can leave to go to the coffee shop" 讀起來有點兒彆扭,不太清楚究竟想強調什麼。 想強調 "leave" (離開某處,走人) 嗎? 那麼,我會說:
    (1) 急著出發的情境:「你吃完飯,咱們就可以走 (or 動身),去咖啡館。」
    (2) 不急著走的情境:「咱們可以等你用過(or 吃了)飯後再(or 才)走(or 動身), 去咖啡館。」
    再 stresses the sequence. In your case, that's not what you want to stress.
    I think it IS what he wanted to express in this case.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >