"We circled back and turned the tables."

< Previous | Next >

subtitler

Finland
Hi!

I'm translating a new "blaxploitation" comedy about a guy, Black Dynamite, who used to be a CIA agent. He comes across with some of his old colleagues in an apartment while trying to find his brother's killers. The guy points the gun at the old colleagues until recognizes who they are.
Collegue: "That was the same trap you used in ‘Nam
to save my ass. Black Dynamite took our fatigues and
put them on two dead gooks. (gooks : racist term for Vietnamese people) I remember we circled back and turned the tables."
Now, what could this last phrase mean? Does anyone understand what the trap was and what happened? I'm not quite sure... Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This should be useful: turn the table on someone [tables]

Here is a guess:
    They dressed the dead Vietnamese to look like dead American soldiers, and left them there. They left and returned by a circuitous route (circled back) and caught the Vietnamese, who had come thinking that these were two dead enemy soldiers (= turned the tables; the Vietnamese had trapped the Americans, now the Americans trapped the Vietnamese.)
    However, military strategy is not my strong point.

Last edited:

subtitler

Finland
    This should be useful: turn the table on someone [tables]

Here is a guess:
    They dressed the dead Vietnamese to look like dead American soldiers, and left them there. They left and returned by a circuitous route (circled back) and caught the Vietnamese, who had come thinking that these were two dead enemy soldiers (= turned the tables; the Vietnamese had trapped the Americans, now the Americans trapped the Vietnamese.)
    However, military strategy is not my strong point.
    No, that makes perfect sense! Obviously, you're a better military strategist than me, to say the least :)

< Previous | Next >