We cook by turns

supermarioutd

Persian
Hello to all,

Let's say you live in a dorm. There are three of you. So you decide to divide the days on which each person cooks. For example, you cook two days a week and your friends cook 5 other days of the week. So you have your turn to cook. Would this make sense? :

In the dorm, we cook by turns and two days a week is my turn.

I could not find by turns in the dictionary so I would assume there must be a better more common way to say this.
I thought about "we have rotation system for cooking" or "alternately" but they are a bit heavy-going for this context.

• Barque

Tamil
    I suggest: We take turns to cook and it's my turn two days a week.

If you enter "take turns" in the search box at the top, you'll find quite a few existing threads.

supermarioutd

Persian
    we cook by in turns and two days a week is my turn.

We take turns cooking and two days a week is my turn.
    Can I also say my wife and I use the car in turns on alternate days?
    Meaning one day is my turn to use the car and the next is my wife's turn.

Myridon

English - US
    on alternate days cannot be used in different situations. For example if you take the car once or twice a week. What is idiomatic?
    Your context was that it was on alternate days. In general, since you cannot both drive the car at the same time, you only need to say that you both drive the car. We know that you take turns driving the car because that is the only possibility.

supermarioutd

Persian
    Your context was that it was on alternate days. In general, since you cannot both drive the car at the same time, you only need to say that you both drive the car. We know that you take turns driving the car because that is the only possibility.
    So is in turns idiomatic in this sentence? : We cook in turns and two days a week is my turn.

Myridon

English - US
    So is in turns idiomatic in this sentence? : We cook in turns and two days a week is my turn.
    Not for me.
    We take turns cooking.
    "Two days a week" is two things. "My turn" is one thing. It sounds very odd because of the mis-match.
    My turns are on Tuesday and Thursday.
    I take two turns a week.

pops91710

English, AE
    Yeah I saw that but Myridon says it's not very idiomatic so I am a bit confused. I know "in turns" is correct but is it idiomatic and common too?
    Thanks
    Obviously you missed where in #3 I wrote We take turns cooking and two days a week is my turn.
    Myridon is correct, the last half of that sentence is not idiomatic, it is the first half I was trying to get across.

< Previous | Next >