(we) decided to

kubi77

Spanish
This belongs to a text I'm writing. Is "we" needed before "decided"?

Many thanks.

"So Siniestro Total and us, when the time came, (we) decided to go to Madrid to find a record label".

• chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    'us' is an object pronoun. It can't be used here because it is in subject position in the sentence.
    "So Siniestro Total and us we, when the time came, (we) decided to go to Madrid to find a record label."
    If you are to use a pronoun, you should use a subject pronoun. Thus you don't need another 'we'.
    I suggest, however, that you rearrange your sentence as follows.
    So when the time came, Siniestro Total and we decided...'

Loob

English UK
    To be honest, kubi, I don't really understand your question:(.

Siniestro Total doesn't mean anything in English, so the whole sentence is rather mysterious.

EDIT: Is Siniestro Total a rock band? If so, you might say "We and Siniestro Total decided..."

Last edited:

kubi77

Spanish
    Yes, Siniestro Total is a rock band. Would the phrase you propose be "So we and Siniestro Total, when the time came, decided to go to Madrid to find a record label"?

Is it not correct to say "Siniestro Total and us"?

kubi77

Spanish
    Would the phrase be correct this way or would "we" be necessary?

"So when the time came, Desechables and us decided to go to Madrid to find a record label."

chfattouma

Tunisian Arabic
    Would the phrase be correct this way or would "we" be necessary?

"So when the time came, Desechables and us decided to go to Madrid to find a record label."
    It'd be still wrong to say 'Desechables and us...'. A subject pronoun is needed in this position ('we' here should replace the object pronoun 'us') regardless of where you place the clause 'so when the time came'.

< Previous | Next >