- We gather up with my family to have dinner and then we give presents to each other.

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

Suppose an alien asks you about Christmas and what we people do at Christmas and you go like:

- We gather up with my family to have dinner and then we give presents to each other.

Do you find the above sentence correct and idiomatic?

Thank you!

• Loob

English UK
    Nearly, Egoexpress:)

There's a problem with "we" and "my", and another problem with "gather up", which usually means pick up/collect.

But you could say:
    - We gather together with our families to have dinner and then we give presents to each other.

djamal 2008

arabic
    Nearly, Egoexpress:)

There's a problem with "we" and "my", and another problem with "gather up", which usually means pick up/collect.

But you could say:
    - We gather together with our families to have dinner and then we give presents to each other.
    We gathered the family around a dinner and then exchanged gifts.

Loob

English UK
    If you insist, djamal:D

But I think Egoexpress's orginal - with the minor corrections I made - was more idiomatic.

(I'm really not sure about "we gathered around a dinner", although "we exchanged gifts" would work. The context also, of course, calls for a present tense.)

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
    What if the alien in question asks only you and about your family specifically and not about the human kind in general and you go like:

-We gather together with my family to have dinner and then we give presents to each other.

Yeah I feel that clash of pronouns but would be OK in streetwise language?

Thank you!

Loob

English UK
    If the alien is asking you about you singular rather than you plural, then you'd say "I get together with my family". This is more likely than "I gather together with my family", since "gather" somehow implies the subject of the verb is plural.

If the alien is asking you about you plural rather than you singular, then you'd say "We gather (or get) together with our families".

No, the clash of pronouns would not be OK in "streetwise language":)

MikeLynn

I know this may sound silly, but it might have something to do with collective nouns. I get together with my family and we have dinner. orit has dinner? BrE vs AmE?, or is there a common sense, universal solution? My family seems to be my parents, brothers and sisters and, maybe cousins and grandparents, so we have dinner sounds very logical.

Æsop

Banned
    English--American (upstate NY)
    Suppose an alien asks you about Christmas . . . and you go like:
    What if the alien in question asks only you . . . you go like:

Egoexpress, please be advised that "go like" is teenspeak (specifically, emptyheadedinarticulateteenspeak); in English, the word is "say." I don't know about extraterrestrials.

Scribblerr

English US
    I'm new here, so feel free to disregard... But I think it would be more idiomatic to say "We get together with my family for dinner and then we exchange gifts."

< Previous | Next >