'We get up' or 'We got up'

< Previous | Next >

razakazmii

Urdu
Hello,

We _____ up as soon as the clock struck four. (get)

As there are two verbs (Struck & Get) in a tense but Struck is the second form of verb. In my knowledge, we don't use SECOND FORM OF VERBS two times in a single tense. Would it be like, "We get up as soon as the clock struck four."

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I don't understand what you mean by "second form of a verb". To me, "struck" is the simple past, and we can use the simple past as many times in a sentence as we like.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Yeah. You are right "struck" is simple past but in a tense, shall we use "GET UP"?
    Can you clarify please? When you say "in a tense" do you mean "in a sentence"?

If you are talking about something that happened in the past you need a past tense for both of your verbs here:
    "We got up ...clock struck four."

sdgraham

USA English
    We are running afoul here of terminology inflicted by some ESL teachers upon learners that we native speakers have never, ever encountered in years of English-speaking experience and formal education.

Like my fellow forum members above, I can only guess at what "second form" of a verb might be.

The natural and correct way to express the sentence is: "We got up as soon as the clock struck four. "

I suggest that you pay more attention to natural English as used by educated, native speakers rather that attempting to follow such "rules."

< Previous | Next >