We got to crown ourselves a 125 and a 250

enkidu68

turkish
Hi people, this is cited from a movie called Motocrossed

Context: They talk about a motorbike race whose raceres race for sponsorship of a factory. so its name is Factory Cup

Q: Does We got to crown ourselves
a 125 and a 250 champion mean that they will pay us 125??? and 250 whoever wins the race?

Commentator: Who's gonna get it? We're not gonna
find out until we get through this series. We got to crown ourselves a 125 and a 250

• The Newt

English - US
    It seems to mean "we have to award prizes for the winner in the 125-mile (or 125km) and 250-mile races." The "ourselves" is probably meaningless.

puli_dog

Actually I can leave it as it is, 125 and 250
    but "get to crown" is problematic for me too.
    From "Freedictionary"
    crown
    3. A distinction or reward for achievement, especially a title signifying championship in a sport.

Thus "We got to scoop (for ourselves) the crown (of championship) in the 125 and 250cc (categories)"

edit
    See my apologies in post #8 :oops:

Last edited:

puli_dog

The "ourselves" is probably meaningless
    I feel that "ourselves", although possibly redundant, helps to emphasize the "grab / scoop" idea, as
    "To secure ourselves" the crown.

edit
    Oops! :oops: I've realized (too late...) that these were the commentator's words. So sorry!

Last edited:

Szkot

British English
    Thus "We got to scoop (for ourselves) the crown (of championship) in the 125 and 250cc (categories)"
    The commentator and the audience are not going to get the crown - the race winners will. It is an over-excited commentator (it's his job to be over-excited) saying that there will be champions.

He is saying: Who's going to be champion? We won't find out until the series is over. We will have (there will be) champions in the two categories.

puli_dog

The commentator and the audience are not going to get the crown - the race winners will. It is an over-excited commentator (it's his job to be over-excited) saying that there will be champions.

He is saying: Who's going to be champion? We won't find out until the series is over. We will have (there will be) champions in the two categories.
    You're right! :)
    I took the sentence as coming from a member of the racing team... o_O My fault!

Last edited: