We have a grill. We are not afraid to use it.

Aidyan

Italiano
Ciao a tutti,

sto cercando lavoro negli USA e in una application form per un lavoro di tecnico di laboratorio nella descrizione improvisamente se ne vengono fuori con: "We have a grill. We are not afraid to use it". Vi garantisco che barbacue e bistecche non c'entrano assolutamente nulla!! Ma dico io.... boh..... Volevo quindi sapere se si tratta forse di un modo di dire, un'espressione colorita o slang per affermnare qualcosa??

• Skin

Italian
    Non conosco nel dettaglio le attrezzature di un laboratorio, ma non potrebbe trattarsi di un macchinario, simile ad una griglia, utilizzato per riscaldare?
    Certo, rimane oscuro il motivo per il quale dovrebbero aver paura di utilizzarlo!

Ciao

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    It's a humorous paraphrase of the expression "I have a gun. I'm not afraid to use it".
    What it's doing in a job description has a lot to do with the context. Where is this job based?

Skin

Italian
    Allora non potrebbe forse essere una ironica minaccia al fatto che vogliono farti sputare sangue: "non ci facciamo problemi a metterti sulla graticola!"
    Possibilissimo che sia del tutto fuori strada, naturalmente!

Aidyan

Italiano
    Il sistema non mi permette di postare link. Allora vi metto parte del testo:

"Here is why joining Planetary Resources will change your life:

We are finding a new way to explore space beyond Earth orbit.
    We are a growing business with incredible people who are dedicated to Planetary Resources’ long-term objectives.
    Like all small businesses, we are a family. We love our team and what we do.
    You will get your hands dirty. If you prefer your hands clean, go somewhere else.
    We have a grill. We are not afraid to use it.
    Seattle, Washington. Ok, so it rains. It’s gorgeous, and anyone who says otherwise is from California.
    Bottom line – we build spaceships and explore asteroids. If you need any other motivation to apply, don’t bother."

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Bingo. It's a small, informal team of people who like to socialize with each other, throw grill parties, etc.

Seattle and the whole Pacific Northwest are a wonderful area for outdoors activities. I worked there several years back and it's a place of great natural beauty. (Bring your rain gear and the right attitude :D)

Aidyan

Italiano
    Read: "we are a team and like outdoor kitchen"? It is a bit strange, to put it mildly, that they feel to write this in an application form......(!?)

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Ciao, Aidyan - it's not strange at all - they are seeking like-minded people who enjoy having a barbecue at work. People who think it strange would not apply. Simple as that.
    (Hey, Teerex! Nice to see you! Welcome back!)

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Bring veggie burgers! :D

The phrase I have an X/Y/Z and I'm not afraid to use it is quite commonly used - you can subsitute 'gun' (mentioned by Teerex earlier) for a lot of other things, and it's always used in a humorous way, never serious. Another example is in Shrek "I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"

Last edited by a moderator:

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    Zucchini, eggplant - AE is practically another language to what we speak :D Hehe!

< Previous | Next >