We have the car today

< Previous | Next >

adorobrasil

American English-Midwest
Sometimes my wife takes the car to work, sometimes she drives (We're lucky because both my wife and I can walk to work) If she leaves the car, when my oldest son gets out of school we often drive to a restaurant for lunch. So it's a big deal if we have the car. My question involves the difference between 'ter' and 'estar com'. 'Ter' seems more permanent, while 'estar com' seems better for temporary situations. If we have the car, I think I should say, 'Hoje a gente esta com o carro'. Is this right or should I say 'Hoje a gente tem o carro'? Thanks.

• Nonstar

Portuguese/BR
    It is more likely you hear someone (a Brazilian at least) use estar com, in such situation. Your guess about the difference between ter and estar com is right. So... vocês estão com o carro, hoje? :)

Carfer

Portuguese - Portugal
    I don't know which variant of Portuguese you are targeting, but if it is the european variant, then I would say none of them. 'Nós hoje levamos o carro' or 'Somos nós quem leva o carro hoje' (verb 'levar') would sound more idiomatic. Anyway, if you have to choose between 'ter' and 'estar com', then I would lean towards 'ter', despite what you say about permanence. The point here is that 'ter' means 'to be in the possession of' (which is actually your case) while 'estar com' is used more in the sense of 'being in the company of', 'to be with someone or something'.
    These are just fine points, anyway,because I'm pretty sure you would be perfectly understood no matter which of the three verbs you choose.

P.S. It came suddenly to me that 'levar' is correct only if you are meaning the near future. If you are talking about the near past than the correct verb would be 'trazer' ('Hoje nós trouxemos o carro' or 'Fomos nós quem trouxe o carro hoje')

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >