We have the same name

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi,

Priyanka is my friend. She is my name-sake. If I want to tell someone this, what should I say?

We have the same name.
We are of the same name.

Thanks.

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    I wonder if my suggestions are idiomatic.

A and B have the same name.
    They/You/We have the same name.

suzi br

English / England
    If you are telling someone about yourself and a new friend you don’t need anything more than my suggestion. #3. That’s the most natural idiom. Your original pal knows your name.

Your OP suggestions are more than you need. It certainly sounds wrong to say namesake. I’d keep that for names given in honour of someone else, say an old relative. I know our dictionary suggests we can use namesake for “the same name” but I think that is out of date.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    If you are telling someone about yourself and a new friend you don’t need anything more than my suggestion. #3. That’s the most natural idiom. Your original pal knows your name.
    You want to say that my suggestions aren't idiomatic?

Your OP suggestions are more than you need. It certainly sounds wrong to say namesake. I’d keep that for names given in honour of someone else, say an old relative. I know our dictionary suggests we can use namesake for “the same name” but I think that is out of date.
    I don't understand, I'm sorry. What do you want to say here?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I wonder if my suggestions are idiomatic.

A and B have the same name.
    They/You/We have the same name.
    Yes, these are idiomatic in English (correct sentences that some English speakers use, and don't "sound strange").

I notice that your question in post #4 (are these idiomatic?) is different from your question in post #1 (what should I say?).

< Previous | Next >