We haven't been seeing each other?

< Previous | Next >

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
Can we use "we haven't been seeing each other"in the following situation?

Mary is my friend. We see each other everyday at school. But recently, we haven't been seeing each other.

The reson I think it is correct is that, the action "see" is almost a habit, can't we use the progressive in this example?

Thank you.

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    That works grammatically, but "seeing each other" can be understood to mean "dating." Be careful that you don't imply something you don't intend.

suzi br

English / England
    That works grammatically, but "seeing each other" can be understood to mean "dating." Be careful that you don't imply something you don't intend.
    Yes, but it is not going to imply that in the context outlined in the original post which outlines the relationship clearly enough.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Yes, but it is not going to imply that in the context outlined in the original post which outlines the relationship clearly enough.
    Not unless it's specifically stated. You could say "Mary and I usually see each other every day, but we haven't been seeing each other lately." But if I know that you go to school with Mary it does not preclude a romantic relationship.

Anyway, I didn't say it could not be used. I just want to Amber to know that the expression can have that meaning.

So it should be "I haven't seen her" if I just refer to "see, the sight"?! Implys a statement of fact?!
    Yes, "I haven't seen her" just means exactly that.

suzi br

English / England
    So it should be "I haven't seen her" if I just refer to "see, the sight"?! Implys a statement of fact?!
    I don't understand this point.

Mary is my friend. We see each other everyday at school. But recently, I haven't seen her" would work just as well as your original posting.

At the risk of being rather pedantic, Sparky, you seem to be intent on ignoring the actual evidence in this post. The original post explicityly states that Mary is my FRIEND which would be enough to signal that this is not a romantic relationship.

< Previous | Next >