we like to needle to show affection

gianfry3003

Italian
Hi,
I'm a new forum user,
I'd like to know the meaning of this phrase taken from an autobiographic american book.
the author talking about his mother:
"We like to needle to show affection, and sometimes to make a point"

Could someone help me?
thanks
Gianfranco

• Italianforever

FL
    English- American
    Hi,
    I'm a new forum user,
    I'd like to know the meaning of this phrase taken from an autobiographic american book.
    the author talking about his mother:
    "We like to needle to show affection, and sometimes to make a point"

Could someone help me?
    thanks
    Gianfranco
    I know that we are waiting on a translation from you, but " We like to needle" doesn't make that much sense in English.

gianfry3003

Italian
    Ciao,
    l'autore descrive il rapporto con sua madre,
    di carattere simile, suppongo possa voler dire che a entrambi piaceva
    punzecchiarsi per dimostrarsi affetto e poi sottolineare la reazione dell'altro/a...
    quello che mi lascia perplesso è proprio to needle...
    la frase successiva dice che entrambi si infiammavano facilmente
    grazie
    Gianfranco

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    to needle is to tease and it's in the WR dictionary as "punzecchiare" as you said. But there seems to be something missing from the English sentence. It would sound better to me as "we like to needle each other..." Do you have information on where and when this was written?

gianfry3003

Italian
    to needle is to tease and it's in the WR dictionary as "punzecchiare" as you said. But there seems to be something missing from the English sentence. It would sound better to me as "we like to needle each other..." Do you have information on where and when this was written?
    Hi Joan,
    the book I'm reading has been written in 2010 by G.W.Bush, (former US president), "Decision points". In the first chapter he writes about when he was young, the phrase is written as I reported in first thread,
    I don't know... thank for your help!:)
    gianfranco

Italianforever

FL
    English- American
    Ciao, Joan! I didn't know that there was such a phrase in English " to needle". Thank you for pointing that out. I guess I learned something new today! :)

< Previous | Next >