we mankind

< Previous | Next >

blue arlene

Chinese
Hi, could you please help me with a question? Please look at the sentences:
1. Since mankind has been corrupted by Satan, we have many corrupt dispositions and God-resisting satanic nature.
2. Since we mankind have been corrupted by Satan, we have many corrupt dispositions and God-resisting satanic nature.

Are they all correct? Which is better?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    The red text in (1) is okay, but the change from third to first person makes it seem as if the speaker ("we") is distancing themself from mankind: Mankind is to blame, not us. I have no idea what you might mean by "dispositions", which sounds an unlikely word in this situation, and "nature" in this situation is countable.

(2) is wrong. You could use something like "we and all (of) mankind".

blue arlene

Chinese
    The red text in (1) is okay, but the change from third to first person makes it seem as if the speaker ("we") is distancing themself from mankind: Mankind is to blame, not us. I have no idea what you might mean by "dispositions", which sounds an unlikely word in this situation, and "nature" in this situation is countable.

(2) is wrong. You could use something like "we and all (of) mankind".
    Thank you, in the first sentence, can "we" refer to mankind? or should I change "we" into "they"? If I use "they" does it contain the speaker?
    what about "Since all of us mankind have been corrupted by Satan, we have many corrupt dispositions and God-resisting satanic nature."

Hermione Golightly

British English
    People reading this will surely realise that they and the writer are human beings, 'mankind'. I suggest you forget about pronouns and use one noun in the plural. Personally, I do not like the old-fashioned word 'mankind'. However, it is in a religious context and is biblical language: possibly your audience would have no objections. If so use 'mankind' and link using 'with' and suitable other changes.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Thank you, in the first sentence, can "we" refer to mankind? or should I change "we" into "they"? If I use "they" does it contain the speaker?
    If you are going to use a pronoun in the main clause, it needs to be "we". The speaker is using the main clause to refer to themselves and their readers/listeners (and presumably to everyone else in the world as well, but this is of less importance, grammatically). You cannot convey this meaning using "they".

The subordinate "since"-clause could use the third person "mankind" if you want, but it would be a lot simpler to use "we" as the subject as well.

blue arlene

Chinese
    People reading this will surely realise that they and the writer are human beings, 'mankind'. I suggest you forget about pronouns and use one noun in the plural. Personally, I do not like the old-fashioned word 'mankind'. However, it is in a religious context and is biblical language: possibly your audience would have no objections. If so use 'mankind' and link using 'with' and suitable other changes.
    thank you:)

< Previous | Next >