"We maybe can't live to see that day come true, but our next generation might do, or further next."

pasitoo

Spanish
Hello all,
Here is a sentence,
"We maybe can't live to see that day come true, but our next generation might do, or further next."
Does the sentence make sense to you at all? Especially the underlined part?
Thanks so much for your help! :)

• teksch

English - American
    Hello all,
    Here is a sentence,
    Does the sentence make sense to you at all? Especially the underlined part?
    Thanks so much for your help! :)
    The short answer is that the sentence does not make very much sense.

This is what I think you are trying to state – “We may not live to see that day but the next generation might.” Are you also trying to say that future generations will see that day; generations beyond the next one?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    No, it does not make sense. A day does not come true; it merely comes. "Might do" is unnatural (I think you mean "might", without the "do), you mean "perhaps" instead of "maybe", and "further next" is completely meaningless.

Forero

The original, especially the underlined part, sounds foreign, but I can see the meaning in it. My version:

Perhaps we won't live to see that day, but our children's generation might - or our grandchildren's.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The "might do" part is British, I think. It sounds strange to me too, but I've heard it, and seen it used even in these forums by speakers of BrE.

In general the sentence seems very colloquial, and may be associated with some regional way of speech. "A day come true" isn't logical, but I would understand it as Forero does, to mean "that day", referring to a time when some dream or hope will be realized.

< Previous | Next >