we need soap

calla_lilly

spanish/mexico english/usa
Can you please tell me how to write "we need soap." Love the Polish language, but it doesn't seem to love me. Can't seem to get even the basics down.

Thank you very much.

• ><FISH'>

British English
    "Potrzebujemy mydło" I think.

EDIT: On second thought, I forgot to take into account the case. This should be enough to be understood, but it probably isn't 100% correct. Better wait for someone to come along with a more correct version.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    "Potrzebujemy mydła" :tick:I think.

EDIT: On second thought, I forgot to take into account the case. This should be enough to be understood, but it probably isn't 100% correct. Better wait for someone to come along with a more correct version.
    Whether it is what you really need, we need the context in which you want to use this formulation. :)

Last edited:

calla_lilly

spanish/mexico english/usa
    That is the context. Just that simple sentence "We need soap." no more, no less. I have not studied the intricacies of the Polish language, but in Spanish it is "Necesitamos jabón." and that is all I am looking for.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    What I am more interested in is the situation in which you have to use this sentence, who do you need to say it to?

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I think that the suggested translation should work in this situation. :)
    There are of course other options, but if you want to keep it short this one seems OK.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    I have just spotted that there is a mistake in the case agreement. It should read Potrzebujemy mydła.

The correct usage requires the genitive (kogo? cczego?) with the verb potrzebować. It is, nevertheless, true that you will come across the accusative as well, especially in everyday spoken Polish.

< Previous | Next >