we <ought to><will> welcome...a person who <will fill><fills>...

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

CNN: Bush pushes for immigrant worker plan

Sample sentences:

1. If an American employer is offering a job that American citizens are not willing to take, we ought to welcome into our country a person who will fill that job.

2. If an American employer is offering a job that American citizens are not willing to take, we ought to welcome into our country a person who fills that job.

3. If an American employer is offering a job that American citizens are not willing to take, we will welcome into our country a person who will fill that job.

4. If an American employer is offering a job that American citizens are not willing to take, we will welcome into our country a person who fills that job.

Question:

Sentence #1 is from the source. I've made up sentences #2, #3 and #4. Are the bolded tenses correct in the above sentences?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Ought to and will are completely different in meaning.
    In "a person who <[modal+]verb> that job" "who <[modal+]verb> that job" is an adjectival phrase that qualifies "person" and whose tense does not relate to the tense of the sentence.

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks PaulQ.

Are the bolded tenses in my four sentences in post #1 grammatically correct?

< Previous | Next >