we pigeonhole people

< Previous | Next >

zăpadă

Limba Arabă
Hi guys ,

" we pigeonhole people "

I Came across the word "pigeonhole " when I was reading this sentence;

I think it's more formal :) ,,

Can I say , "I pigeonhole him as a good teacher" ?

How does it sound ?

• drjudyo

English-USA midwest
    Here's my input:
    I pegged him as a good teacher. Most good teachers like him get pigeonholed into dead-end jobs. Only bad teachers rise to become school administrators.

N American slang
    pegged=identified,
    pigeonholed =shoved into a small slot

I don't think "I pigeonholed him" works.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I agree with Xqby (in the thread linked by SDG is his post 4) about this. His definition might be simplified thus: to pigeonhole is to categorize something according to a narrow range of attributes. For me the person criticized usually is the person who pigeonholes; the suggestion is that they have a quite limited series of categories into which they fit the people they know. Thus they lose the individual characteristics which make people interesting and, sometimes, endearing.

So here I wouldn't say we pigeonhole people. It's a dangerous generalization and it's to present a very narrow view of human life. I would prefer some people like fitting people into categories, which is much less pejorative to my ear. In the specific case I'd simply say I reckoned he was a good teacher - the formula in the OP suggests that good teachers are all similar, like Tolstoy's happy families.

< Previous | Next >