we put together the right mix of sport and activities

MrRise

Russian
Hello, I'd like to ask you about the highlighted part in the sentence:

With the experience we've gained over the years, we put together the right mix of sport and activities providing sport for all, not just for those who are brilliant at athletics.

A mix of sport - the sport in a singular form, but why not in plural? Or, as I guess: if it's in a singular form, it means they provide one type of sport, and some physical activities as well? And if it were in a plural form, then you're going to do two or more types of sport at the same time?

Actually, I don't know how is it - a mix of sport and activities?

I guess at one time people do one type of activities, one type is a sport. For example, at the football, you do activities such as running, jumping and so on, while chess takes mind working.

So it would be incorrect to use sport in a plural form? The right examples are: If you want to look well, do the right mix of sport and activities. Also, do the right mix of eating and resting.

Although these examples are clear:
A peculiarly inflammable mix of oil and petroleum.
Somethingroyal's colt could have an unusual mix of speed and stamina.

The original sentence remains somehow unclear. Could you help me to get sorted? What do people do when it's the right mix of sport?

Thank you so much!

• Retired-teacher

British English
    I think it would be better with "sport and" omitted leaving "we put together the right mix of activities, providing sport for all"

Those two words "sport" so close together doesn't sound right.

Last edited:

Bondstreet

English (UK)
    Others may not agree with me, but I feel there is a subtle difference between "sport" and "sports" here.

"sport" has a more general feeling of physical activity and exercise, where some casual recreational sport (e.g. swimming, jogging, weekend football in the park) might be included:

"Do you do any sport?" "Yes, I play tennis sometimes at weekends"

"We include some sport (i.e. sporting activity) in the curriculum to keep the pupils healthy"

"sports" to me has a more dedicated and business-like feel related to taking part regularly in a particular sport like competitive football or athletics:

"We set aside two afternoons a week for sports training".

>> "Sports days are events staged by many schools and offices in which people take part in competitive sporting activities, often with the aim of winning trophies or prizes...

wikipedia.org sports day

See also here:

dictionary.com sport

< Previous | Next >