we shall all welcome <her> presence among us once more

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 387-388, chapter 17) by Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background: Connie was in Venice, in a stupor of happiness. Then she received a letter from Mrs Bolton, saying Connie wouldl be pleased, when she saw Sir Clifford..……")

He’s looking quite blooming and working very hard, and very hopeful. Of course he is looking forward to seeing you among us again. It is a dull house without my Lady, and we shall(
=should/have the duty) all welcome her presence among us once more.

The sentence in blue is a little strange for me. I suspect her is used to show respect, but I can't find any definition of this kind from dictionaries.

How should I understand this sentence please? Is her a typo for your please?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Not at all a typo. If a servant in the 1920s (or any citizen in the 1520s) began a sentence with "my lady" instead of "you", then it is logical to continue in the third person.

Speaking to one's equal: When you come home we shall welcome you.
    Speaking to a superior: When my Lady / your Majesty / her Ladyship comes home we shall welcome her.

We shall = correct form of the future tense. I shall, you will, he will; we shall, you will, they will. Now much neglected :(.

< Previous | Next >