We start school at 6 at the elementary school

lollo123

German
hi,
We start school at 6 at the elementary school

are the prepositions correct and shall I leave or keep the definite article?
thanks a lot

• The Newt

English - US
    i don't really understand, why does the context (person who has said that) makes sense of location of prepositions, can you please explain?
    In general, we use "in elementary school" to make statements about conditions in elementary schools in general: "in elementary school, we learn to read and write." We use "at the elementary school" when we're being more specific: "at the (local) elementary school, there's a teacher who speaks Farsi." So we would really need to know who is making a statement about the school hours and whether there's an implied contrast with the hours, say, in high school.

Polle

oh, got it. thank you
    In general, we use "in elementary school" to make statements about conditions in elementary schools in general: "in elementary school, we learn to read and write." We use "at the elementary school" when we're being more specific: "at the (local) elementary school, there's a teacher who speaks Farsi." So we would really need to know who is making a statement about the school hours and whether there's an implied contrast with the hours, say, in high school.

lollo123

German
    hello the newt ,
    from your message I think I should use at elementary school because I am talking about schoolsystems in different countries . With six I mean 6 years/age. Or do you use with 6 , like in German?
    thank you too ,polle

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    from your message I think I should use at elementary school because I am talking about schoolsystems in different countries . With six I mean 6 years/age. Or do you use with 6 , like in German?
    In BE we would say something like:

"We start primary school (= elementary school) at the age of six." :)

< Previous | Next >