We trade with ABC Corporation in USD

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
We trade with some customers in USD (We quote to them in USD and they pay us USD), and trade with some customers in CNY (Chinese Yuan Currency).

I was reporting a customer's status to my supervisor: "We trade with ABC Corporation in USD...".

I often wrote "We did USD with ABC Corporation." Today after second thought I believe it's wrong and changed it to: "We trade with ABC Corporation in USD...".

I am wondering if the part in bold is common or correct? Also, "We did USD with ABC Corporation." is wrong in my context. Is it right? Thank you.

• sound shift

English - England
    "We trade with ABC Corporation in USD" is grammatically fine. I presume you are talking about current practice, so I don't understand why you previously used the past tense "did". In any case, we don't say "to do a currency" in this context.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    "We trade with ABC Corporation in USD" is grammatically fine. I presume you are talking about current practice, so I don't understand why you previously used the past tense "did". In any case, we don't say "to do a currency" in this context.
    Hi Soundshift. Thank you for your reply. I was wrong in my OP; I should have wrote "We do USD with ABC Corporation." I will not use it any more since you say it dosen't make sense in this context. Thank you.

xuliang

Chinese Mandarin
    Hi, SoundShift and DOjibear. Thank you for your answers.

I searched "trade in USD" and didn't find much results (I used Yahoo.com, because I can't access google with this computer; it's blocked in China.). Sound Shift said it was gramatically fine. I am wondering if it's not common to say so. What do you usually say to express my meaning? What would you say? Thank you.

"We trade with ABC Corporation in USD...". (if we trade with a customer in USD, then we quote them in USD currency and they pay us USD; if we trade with a customer in CNY, we quote products in CNY and they pay us CNY.)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    On the search, try "trade in dollars" instead of "trade in USD". That is more normal to say. I did not mention it because the context of your question was communicating with a supervisor, where USD would be clearly understood. If you were writing for the general public it would be better to say "We trade with ABC Corporation in dollars (or Renmibi)."

When I googled "trade in USD" the first pages of links were about Forex trading (where USD, JPY, CAD are standard symbols for the products that are traded, each representing the currency of a different country).

Linkway

British English
    "We trade with ABC Corporation in USD." :tick:

"We did USD with ABC Corporation." :thumbsdown:

But note that do/did is often used informally when referring to what a business does, ie what they make/sell.

Example:

Customer: Do you do men's shirts in sack cloth?

Sales assistant: No, sorry. We do them only in cotton and leather.

So I suppose you could ask at a bureau de change: "Do you do USD?" (ie Can I buy USD here?) but that would be very odd.

< Previous | Next >